The RHN includes an active birding group that meets once a month from October through April to study and discuss ornithology. In addition members are invited to participate in local — and not so local — outings across southern Ontario. Yearly events include beginner’s workshops at Mill Pond as well as trips further a field to Whitby’s Thickson Woods, Presqu’ile, Burlington’s Royal Botanical Gardens, the Grimsby Hawk Watch and other stops along Lake Ontario. For reports on recent meetings, see the BLOG. In lieu of a December meeting, a number of the members conduct the annual Christmas Bird Count for our area. Our results are sent to the National Audubon Society for publication in their magazine American Birds.
RHN Birding News
- Birding outings
- 2010 Christmas Bird Count
- Where are the Red-headed Woodpeckers in southern Ontario and how can we help them?
- Baillie Memorial Walks (open to all)
- 2010 Great Backyard Bird Count
- RHN 2009 Christmas Bird Count results
- Dec 19: Calling all Bird Feeders for 110th CBC
- Nov 19th: Bridget Stutchbury ? Tracking routes and destinations of migrating songbirds
Latest OntBirds Postings
- [Ontbirds] sandhill cranes in Navan
- [Ontbirds] Ottawa: Sabine’s Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls
- [Ontbirds] Sandhill Cranes west of Cache Bay
- [Ontbirds] Sandhill cranes Welland-Niagara
- [Ontbirds] Ottawa: Sabine’s Gull
- [Ontbirds] Sabine’s Gull – Ottawa/Quebec
- [Ontbirds] Gatineau to North Bay
- [Ontbirds] Shorebirds-Amherst Island
For many years, the RHN bird sightings database was ably maintained by Theo Hofmann. As a result of work done by Bob Noble of the West Humber Naturalists, we are now working toward a shared reporting system and database. You can browse and search the bird sightings database or report new sightings using the links below. Note that new sightings can also be reported to Gene Denzel at 905-770-4586.
|View Bird Sightings||Report New Sightings|